Over the last few years, the Gaming industry along with the Esports industry has shown high growth figures that are rising exponentially and not showing any signs of slowing down.
Currently, the Gaming industry is worth more than both the Film and Music industry combined and had earned revenue of more than $150 Billion worldwide in 2019.
These extraordinary stats are catching the attention of investors worldwide and as such some A-List Celebrities have also come forward with investment plans for the Esports industry which was estimated to be worth more than $1 Billion by the end of 2019.
Below is a list of some Celebrity and their investments made in Esports Industry
- Will Smith and Keisuke Honda – Gen. G Esports – $46 Million
- Kevin Durant and Odell Beckham Jr. – Vision Esports – $38 Million
- Andre Iguodala, Stephen Curry, and Steve Young – Team SoloMid – $37 Million
- Sean “Diddy” Combs – PlayVS – $30.5 Million
- Michael Jordan – Axiomatic Gaming – $26 Million
- Drake – 100 Thieves – $25 Million
The list is currently dominated by American Sports Celebrity. All in all 80% of investors are from a sports background with only the exception of Drake and Diddy from the music industry. Similarly, 80% of investors are from America with the exception of Drake (Canada) and Keisuke Honda (Japan).
These investments alone amount to more than $200 Million which in itself shows the confidence among celebrities to invest big into Esports and not pass it off as hollow hype.